Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spotlight Dear Golden Vintage



It's another snow day here in Chicago. So far my morning has consisted of, Mad Men, fruit salad & toast, and pilates. My afternoon will consist of blogging, taking photos for Etsy and new Dethrose Vintage shop updates.

Today is the next spotlight that I have been very excited to post. Dear Golden Vintage, shop owner Lauren, was lovely enough to take time out of her busy day to answer a few questions for me! Lauren shop is one of the most lovely Vintage collections I have ever seen. I think if I was to see her collection I would have a heart attack! Lauren has such a great eye for Vintage and has such a great modern yet timeless style.  Enjoy! 

1. What made you start your blog and easy shop?

I started my shop in 2008, but I started collecting vintage when I was about 15. My mom collected antiques so I was always around old things and in high school I came up on a barn sale with 10 cent vintage dresses as far as the eye could see, I bought all the ones that fit me and have never been the same since! Oh to find a barn like that again! I started my vintage shop simply because my husband saw me looking at vintage on Etsy and noted that since I had such an obsession with vintage clothing I should give selling it a whirl. Three days later I opened my shop!

2. What do you find inspires you most?

It's different all the time and can be almost anything. Movies, books, other people, but on the whole I think old movies inspire me the most, naturally!

3. If you could live in any decade, what would it be?

I'd love to live in the 1920s, the mid-to-late 1950s in New York (just to see the jazz!).

4. Who is your style Icon?

I can't say that I have one in particular, sorry if that's boring!

5. Do you find music to be a big inspiration for your creativity?

Hugely, I am very very into music, I played the violin for 14 years so I love classical music. I listing to jazz the most but outside of the in terms of popular music I listen to more than I can list. Both of my parents were very into music and I am married to a musician, so it's just part of the fabric of life.

6. If you could have the wardrobe of anyone, who would it be? 

Heck, my own! 



7. Do you find the time of year, seasons, to be a big influence on your style?

Living in Michigan? Yes, there's no way around it. My style changes a lot from summer to winter I think. In the fall I tend to dress sort of boyishly, then in the winter sort of more feminine and snow bunny like and in the summer a bit more edgy mixed with very pretty vintage pieces. 


8. Were you always interested in vintage lifestyles and fashion?  
Completely.


9. What colors are you mostly drawn to?
Non-colors really. My favorite color is gray. After that I love all the neutrals with some peach and mustard thrown in. I've never really gotten into the colors blue or red though...and subsequently I find it hardest to stock pieces in those colors in my shop although I know other women like them. I am always working on that!

10. Where are your favorite places to shop? Online, thrift, antique shops? 

Antique malls for sure. Such an adventure. And since I like more vintage/antique things than clothing I can basically spend hours and hours in antique malls (and do!)
11. Describe an ideal day for you?

Hmm, wake up to coffee from this amazing independent coffee shop near my house. Do some listing of vintage pieces in the shop then head out for some vintage hunting. Outside of work stuff, I think an ideal day would include a woody hike and then some evening cocktails... 

12. What is your favorite part about being a blogger and shop owner?

I like being a shop owner much more than being a blogger...and my favorite part is that I am completely immersed in something I love, nay, am obsessed with! I feel like I use all of my skill-sets in my job which feels so great compared to other jobs I have had. I also love seeing girls in vintage they have purchased in my shop, that makes me really really happy. 
13. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
If I am lucky I hope to be selling vintage, cuddling my kitties, listening to jazz, taking hikes, getting lost in antique malls, drinking coffee, having cocktails and seeing girls in Dear Golden Vintage. :)
To shop Lauren's wonderful vintage visit here, and to catch up on her daily blog visit here

1 comment:

thatdamngreendress said...

mmmm...I love Dear Golden! Thanks for a little background on Lauren's life and style fascinations!