Friday, January 21, 2011

CHilly CHi and Spotlight on Closet Case Vintage!

Frigid ice temperatures in Chicago today through next week is perfect for me to stay and get work done! And it helps that this is my favorite kind of work, I mean, spending all day surrounded by clothing and playing dress up! Who wouldn't want to do this daily?! That pretty much sums up my week. Waking early to catch the light, shopping at wonderful estates, Thrifting, reading blogs and fashion magazines gathering inspiration, putting together playlists to make the soundtracks of each day and then playing dress up coming up with the perfect outfits for Dethrose. It's bliss. SHop update in about an hour! 

But first.....

Once again, I would like to introduce you to another lovely vintage loving lady that is part of my daily vintage fix. Another Nashville native, Carmen of Closet Case Vintage. I came across Carmen's blog and shop through Quincy from Q's Daydream. Ever since I have been a avid reader of her blog. Stylist and vintage shop owner, Carmen has a wonderful and modern take on vintage that is truly an inspiration. Enjoy! 



1. What made you start your blog and easy shop?
The plan to sell online and create a brand was in place many years before it came to fruition. The idea came to me sometime in 2006 and after careful collecting, I started selling by appointment at my house and at various pop-up shops in 2008. I opened my first etsy shop in the Spring of 2009. The blog followed shortly after. In the summer of 2010, I opened my storefront in Nashville, Tennessee. 

2. Closet Case Vintage  is your shop/blog name, where did this come about?
I will never tell ;) 

3. What do you find inspires you most?
The thousands of individual hand stitches in just one flapper dress. 

4. If you could live in any decade, what would it be?
Can I be more specific? I wish I'd been born in 1955, so I could have done my growing years in the 60's and my teens/twenties in the 70's.

5. Who is your style Icon?
My great aunt Joyce. She, at 86 years young, is still the most glamorous woman I've ever met.

6. Do you find music to be a big inspiration for your creativity?
Absolutely. Nostalgic music makes me especially creative. What can I say? I live in the past. 

7. If you could have the wardrobe of anyone, who would it be?
Catherine Baba's. No question about it. 

8. Do you find the time of year, seasons, to be a big influence on your style?
Yes! I think I'm most excited about dressing at the beginning of a season when the weather changes. Spring is my favorite because I get to start wearing my sundresses with boots and cardigans. Winter is lovely too, because I do a reverse bohemian summer and layer all of my hippie paisleys, leathers and free-flowing clothes.

9. Were you always interested in vintage lifestyles and fashion? 
Since I can remember, I've wanted to be a flower child. So. Yes. 

10. What colors are you mostly drawn to?
Any and all, but especially when deep and rich. Jewel tones mixed with neons mixed with pastels mixed with neutrals. 

11. Where are your favorite places to shop? Online, thrift, antique shops? 
I've been bad recently with the online shopping. It's my favorite. Antique shops are fun when I've got a pile of cash. My patience for thrift stores is wearing thin. 

12. Describe an ideal day for you?
Being awakened by my boyfriend and my kitties and a cup of coffee. After that, the rest of the day doesn't really matter! 

13. What is your favorite part about being a blogger and shop owner?
My favorite part of the blog is having opportunities to do fun things like this feature! My favorite part of having the Etsy shop is being able to ship internationally. The storefront in Nashville? My favorite part of having it is getting to know my customers personally. The occasional celebrity shopper is always high on my favorite list too ;) 

14. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
On a vegan commune in California. Not even kidding!


Thank Carmen!! I can't wait to visit Nashville and see your collection first hand! Shop Carmen's Collection HERE.





No comments: