Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Edith Designs For Grace

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Grace Kelly. Her style and elegance are so inspirational to me. I re-watch her films constantly and just dream of having her wardrobe. Some of you may not know but there was a very brilliant woman responsible for many of the gorgeous Hollywood Starlets wardrobes that we love so dearly. Hedy Lamar, Barbara Stanwyck, Ginger Rogers, Sophia Loren, Ingrid Bergman, Natalie Wood, Loretta Young and about 25 more were all dressed by Edith Head. She had a style that she never deterred from, Hitchcock took a liking to her designs and she was then designing clothing for almost all his female leads. Head went onto win 8 Academy Awards for her costume design.

Here are my favorite looks she has done for my favorite, Grace Kelly.

 "Rear Window" 1955


 This one above is my personal favorite!

"To Catch a Thief" 1956
This is my personal favorite from "To Catch a Thief"





 Edith Head with her designs.






3 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

rear window is and will always be my favorite Grace Kelly wardrobe
there is the charm bracelet she wears in the movie that I covet!!!
I want to own one like it and I have searched for years never finding one :(
Amy

Miss Marie said...

Oh, thank you for this gem of information! It sounds absolutely daft but, as much as I admire the outfits in classic film, I never thought to look into the costume designers. The stars just look so effortlessly glam that you forget about the careful orchestration behind their clothes.

And, as a side note, one of my happiest moments ever was when I was walking around at work, minding my own business, and one of my colleagues said, "Looking good, Grace Kelly" as I passed them. I was breathless - SUCH a compliment!

Dethrose Vintage said...

Amy- That bracelet is on my wish list!! January Jones has a very similar one to it in season 3 of Mad Men. Of course the 2 women I <3 have it!

Miss- I obsess over costume designers of the past, I always have that moment when I find a vintage dress in hopes its an Edith Head! And I know what you mean, I get Grace and Marilyn a lot, 2 compliments I hope will never stop!